Saturday 20 March 2010

Rebekahs Birthday blog hop

Hiya everyone and thank you for visiting me on this special occasion, I feel totally honoured that I was asked by Rebekah to contribute:D

(Happy Birthday hun by the way :D)If you have visited me already you will know that my style is vintage/grunge.
This has evolved a whole lot more since my visit to the trade show at the NEC, and meeting Tim/Suze/Claudine :D
I was totally entranced by their amazing demos and had to think how I could combine them with my scrapping on my return.
I have to say I'm a few £'s lighter and I have a whole new addiction but OMG its so worth it LOL

When I started scrapping I loved bold modern designs, but now I am definitely a vintage girl. What I will say is that with a bit of ink, distressing and messing most things can look pretty vintage and grungey - sometimes without me meaning them to be LOL, in the end I had to accept that's my niche :D

The first technique I want to share with you was by Suze and she did it in her melting pot - mine hasn't arrived yet and it has taken me a long time to decide it was something I needed.
But now I can't wait to try beeswax and more :D

Right so I'm going to explain how to make embellies from UTEE (ultra thick embossing enamel - which is just coarsley cut embossing powder) on a heat proof craft mat with rubber stamps.







Start off by getting together your stamps and any perfect pearls you want to add to the melted utee, I also added a couple of buttons as an experiment :D

Ink your stamps with versamark ink or coloured ink if you prefer so that they release easily from the utee

I coloured my utee as I only have clear with alcohol inks,now this bits really important particularly if you have a melting pot - do not add alcohol inks to melted utee like you would with the dye inks!!!! you can however colour them when they are powder and leave them to dry so the alcohol evaporates and leaves the ink behind - make sure you mix it well to get the colour through the powder


Take your versamark pad and squidge it on your heat proof non stick mat (squidge is a technical term LOL), and I would advise you also put something heatproof underneath as when I first tried this my cutting mat ended up with a bump in it :o - I just put a melamine chopping board underneath




Sprinkle the dry utee over the versamark ink and start heating, I start at the edges and work inwards as I want the centre to remain hot. when its melted heat it again as you want more powder to stick to the hot utee, add more, powder and melt again.
you can also sprinkle in some perfect pearls if you want

EDITED TO ADD - start with a thin layer and build up as it will just blow away with the heatgun if not on a sticky surface :)


When you have a good puddle in the middle stamp it, leaving the stamp there.






When cool remove the stamp and carefully peel back the utee - this leaves a lovely feathery edge :D You need to be gentle as its very fragile

because your mat is non stick it just wipes off so don't panic when you see the mess :D
I then rubbed in distress stickles and perfect pearls to highlight the image.




To attach to your project I would use a clear adhesive like glossy accents so that you can't see it through the transparent uteeIf your still not convinced about utee or don't own a heat gun ( you know who you are Birthday girl ;-) LOL ) then check out Dyans you tube video here of her demoing at CHA.
It's such a cool product, well not really...... well you know what I mean LMAO :D

I have also used Image transfer using Claudine Hellmuths sticky backed canvas ( you can see her demoing it here) on the blue corner mat using Prima paper - its really easy and you can use scrapbook paper, magazines, wrapping paper or anything photocopied (inkjet won't work).
It does stay a little bit tacky so you can use Claudines Multi medium on top to seal it, this also makes any little pieces of paper you might have missed disappear ;-)

The canvas is lovely and thick and frays nicely, and as you can see is sewable/stitchable ( are they even words??? LOL )

So that's my project, I hope you like it and find it inspiring :D
I used Prima Pastiche papers from Happy Daze, with a selection of prima flowers inked with Ranger distress ink in Fired brick and a prima pebble. I also added vintage lace, a piece of a vintage music score and used my sewing machine.
Edges were distressed and inked with Frayed burlap distress ink




















Now for the really fab bit :D
If you leave me a comment by 31st March you will be in with a chance of winning a set of Basic Grey stamps donated by the Craft Emporium - cool huh :D

AND if you leave me a link to your work inspired by my project you will have a second entry in to the draw - it could be stamping, playing with utee and alcohol inks, image transfer, sewing or just scrapping :D - Good luck everyone :D

The Next blog for you to hop to is the lovely Ania who will posting her project tomorrow morning (Sunday 21st) - now that's one to definitely check out :D

If you've lost your way hop back to Rebekahs place to get back on track :D

Hugs'n'birthday hoppy snogs,
Julie xx

30 comments:

  1. Totally gorgeous technique and I love, love, love the LO. Thank you so much for taking part and thank you for the cake :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Julie - another messy technique for me to have a play with.

    Toni :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love what you have done it's one thing trying out these techniques but adding them to a L/O is difficult sometimes. You don't see Tim making L/Os very often !!!
    I did a 3 hour class with Tim,Claudine & Suzi was more impressed with the melt pot and ordered a few !!!! ooops !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jay, I know what you mean and when I saw them demoed I had to sit back and think how I wanted to use them.

    Thanks for the lovely comments girls :D
    J xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so COOL! I want to try the technique right away! And love also the transfer on the sticky back canvas. Looks so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous techniques Julie and very beautiful end result - I think I have a pot of UTTE somewhere that I've never used, so you have just inspired me to dig it out and have a play :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great techniques you used! I think I want to try some! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tutorial - I used to use UTEE a lot like this when card-making - you've inspired me to get my supplies out and I'll give it a go for scrapbooking too. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well I just bought a new heat mat today, but have no UTEE yet, but will bookmark this for later! Thanks Julie! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. gorgeous Julie :) love the effect

    ReplyDelete
  11. love it, really great blog, thanks for sharing, i also really like your blog header too, xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. GORGEOUS LO, fab tutorial :0)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh, i really like this. Thanks for sharing this.

    *must buy UTEE* :)

    Nat xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooooh! Love, love, love this! UTEE deffo being dragged out of the cupboard :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow, I love this! Thanks for the inspiration!! Hannah xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awsome LO, thanks for the tutorial on the UTEE, I'm going to have a go at this for sure!

    Rosie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a melt pot hidden away in my cupboard that hasn't seen the light of day for years - it (and me) are very grateful to you that it is going to see daylight in the very near future!! Love the technique and adore the LO, thanks Julie!! x

    ReplyDelete
  18. I didn't know you could colour UTEE, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think I need to add UTEE to my ever growing list for Ally Pally! Thanks for sharing it looks great, can't wait to try.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh no! I now just have to get a melting pot... love what you have done, its all stunning!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. how cool must have a play at this thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That looks like SOOOO much fun... Hmmm... Credit card may be taking a bash me thinks :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. Don't have a melting pot, do have UTEE. I'll have to give this a try on my heat mat. Thanks for the lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  24. My melting pot will definately be coming out of the cupboard. I'd just started to play with UTEE again so this is great timing. I love Suze's work and she has some great demos on her website

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great tutorial, I will have to give it a go - and beautiful LO - love those papers!

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a fun project. I love that uTEE trick!

    ReplyDelete
  27. oh I do so love my utee :) Lovely colours in the embellishments, doesn't everything look magical with a swoosh of perfect pearls?!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow - this is just so stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  29. my version is now on my blog!!!! need to get another ink pad to get a better result!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment :D I really appreciate them all as it lets me know I'm not really talking to myself LOL :D
I enjoy reading them too ;-)
With the exception of Spam... me no likey spam tinned or comments!!
I moderate comments and just delete SPAM so please don’t waste my time or yours 😊
Thank you kindly xx