Friday, 11 May 2012

Crafty sew'n'sew for Happy Daze

I have had this idea in my head for a while and finally got around to putting it in to reality :D
I started with one of these fab hardboard collage frames and a papier mache torso.

I cut the torso in half and glued it on to the frame with glossy accents, then gave it a few coats of white gesso as a base.

When completely dry I covered the whole thing with pieces of a vintage sewing pattern glued down with Claudines matte medium.

When dry I painted it with a wash of Claudines studio paints in painterly pink and  sky blue mixed with traditional tan to give it a more vintage look.

I love that it has tinted the paper but you can still see the original print :D

I stamped around the edge in archival ink with these amazing BLOCKHEADS stamps

To finish I added buttons and other sewing ephemera and distress stickles.

If you haven't already go and check out all the NEW ITEMS in the shop as Moira has added some lush new lines that will defo have you parting with your pennies :D

Julie xx

Tuesday, 1 May 2012

Queen Lulubee for Happy Daze

As it's the Diamond Jubilee next month for the May Happy Daze challenge we have a queenly theme. Think Maypole to welcome in the season of new growth, go patriotic and be Red, White and Blue, or just add a simple crown. Interpret the theme as you see it and what it means to you. But the main thing is to enjoy yourself and make something lovely to share with us for the challenge this month.

You can enter the challenge by uploading using the linky Widget on the main post HERE, if you dont have a blog you can enter via the Facebook page or by emailing your entry directly to Carol at

The challenge will close on the 31st May, and the winner of the £15.00 voucher drawn by random number will be announced on the 2nd June. Just remember to be eligible for the prize draw you must use one item that is available to purchase from the shop. You can enter the challenge up to 3 times.

For my piecd I used one of these fabby papier mache torsos as my base, which I painted in white gesso.
I wrapped stripes of TH tissue tape around the body in a bee like fashion and then coloured it all with wild honey distress stain.
When it was dry I randonmly stamped all over the body with Artistic Outpost Serenity stamps in coffee archival ink.

I hand cut a pair of wings from a chipboard sheet from some packaging and covered both sides with TH Kraft resist paper.
I coloured it with an assortment of distress stains on top of picket fence distress stain, making sure I pollished off the excess on the resist parts.

The base for the torso I picked up in a charity shop for £1 and was a silver coloured vase - I think it may be called a pick??? It has a little gridded top (which I have just decided would look pretty cool on the back of the head LOL) to stand the flowers in.

I coloured it with alcohol inks in  stream and latte alcohol along with snow cap mixative sponged on with a cosmetic sponge. I did the same with the lid of an olive jar for the head, then rubbed on lightly some inka gold in copper to give them a verdigris effect.
Its glued on with glossy accents.

I cut a circle of Claudines sticky backed canvas and stamped PaperBag studios Little Lulu in black archival ink on to it.
I coloured the canvas with distress stains, spritzed with water to lighten a little, then stuck it to the inside of the lid.
the crown was cut from chipboard with a TH die, coloured with inka gold and distress stickles and flat back pearls glued on.

I heated some beeswax in my meltpot and covered all of the pieces with it including drips in to the lid and the base.
 I smeared on distress stickles in rock candy and broken china on the body and the wings

I used furniture tacks to attach the wings and the head and added buttons, twine and some metal embellies including TH token.
  She is pretty tall in real life because of the base, but I think she is pretty cool :D
Head on over to the Happy Daze blog to see what some of the other DT members have created to share with you :D